View Profile CloakedSoup

8 Audio Reviews

Why are ratings so low? This is awesome! You totally got the vibe down I think. The mixing is pretty solid too. Everything is really clear. From a composition standpoint it's perfect too! Congrats on writing such a solid piece of music! :D

Deemo-R responds:

Urgh, sorry - one of those is my own, lol. I was showing a friend the finished file on my phone and he asked the same thing (sitting at a 1.38 before), so I showed him that I could rate my own submissions and didn't change it afterwards. I'm glad you think it turned out nicely! I've always been pretty self-conscious about how unstructured and disparate my compositions have been in the past, so it's a bit relieving to hear that this one came off well. Thanks so much for the kind words, and I hope to be hearing some more of your work soon as well!

Violin AND solo violin!?!? Damn boi! :P

In all seriousness, I really loved the textures you created in the opening. Did you combine bowed vibraphone with string harmonics? Once the violin began playing the melodic line it became really beautiful. The following rhythmic parts created a nice sort of contrast, but I think that the preceding melodic part could have been stretched out more or even used for more of a big climax. Overall really nice job! Some lovely textures and composing here.

Deemo-R responds:

Yessir, I thought the bowed vibraphone would sit pretty well with the harmonics (a minor second from the viola harmonic), and I thought it sounded pretty interesting in practice - although the accompanying strings have mutes on for the entire piece, which may have caused the harmonics to not speak as well as I hoped. The recording setup also picked up a lot of AC hum, which makes me sadpanda...

Totally agree with you on the brevity of the melodic content, though; I was planning to make a LOT more happen with the rhythmic section, including developing that melodic content more, but I had to settle for something shorter since the first section was so slow and ate up a lot of time. There's still some motivic unity, but I personally like having more direct references lol. All in all, I was really just happy to hear real people play this instead of the usual MIDI feedback!

Thanks a ton for the insight, Collin! Really appreciate your compliments! :D

It's nice getting to hear one of your own compositions on here! I might argue that NG isn't the best place for contemporary classical stuff, because people here tend to shy away from stranger modern stuff like this (A comment about jazz having lots of wrong notes comes to mind lol). On the other hand, if you'd like to post 'sketchbook' kind of stuff here, then by all means go ahead! Just don't necessarily expect most people to know what's going on compositionally haha.

As for the piece itself, nice job! Some of the combinations of sounds were able to get were very nice. Especially the combinations of the viola pizz. with the plucked harp, they made for a nice background/accompanimental element against the flute. The main bit of critique I could offer would be to make the distinctions between the 'violent' sections and the calming ones more distinct. The opening REALLY caught my attention with the intense dissonance and sfz attack. Some of the subsequent sections still had a bit of that 'violence' but it felt like it kept getting weaker each time until it the two starting blending together a bit too much. I think you could have gone even more intensely with the 'violent' sections later on to really create contrast.

Overall, really beautiful piece! Always enjoy hearing your music! :D

~Collin

Deemo-R responds:

Thanks a ton, Collin! Honestly, I've considered the "audience disparity" issue for quite a while, but eventually I came to the conclusion that I might as well have something to post rather than nothing. The users of NG are relatively hands-off when it comes to content they aren't interested in, so I think it's a pretty safe place for some experimentation; perhaps not a ton, but I don't have a massive following to worry about here. I dually appreciate the comments I do receive on pieces like this, regardless of the theoretical knowledge they may possess - I think there's some value to be seen in those perspectives as well.

It's been a while since I worked on the music, but I remember this being a really stop-and-start writing process. Without getting into too much detail, the pieces were made for this theme, which was actually part of a project for a graduate dance group. What I originally sent them was a mockup of the section starting at 2:37, which they enjoyed. Following up on it with the full piece, they seemed to want the response leaning more on the side of "a response encouraging emotional recovery", so I kept the sections following the initial "violent outburst" a bit lower. It may have also been part of my thought process in development, but I can't remember too well. I do know that I ended up writing in the program notes that 0:37 was "the act of violence" and everything following it was the response of another person, but that was a bit of post-mortem makeup application, lol. The section around 3:40 is really the only other "violent" section I'd identify, but the whole recording around that part is a bit of a mess. It's both a funny and really sad story - sad for me at the time, but kind of funny in retrospect. Regardless, I think your point still stands - if I had brought more of the "violent" timbres to the table in certain sections (and potentially cut down on a few others) I think the cohesion of the piece would improve quite a lot. I wish it were easier to get players together for an ensemble like this, because I've heard quite a lot of beautiful things from it. The other student pieces were also fantastic, and some of them make me feel like I have a lot of catching up to do!

You're too kind, thanks so much for the constructive criticism! Always appreciated in my book!

22 Art Reviews

That's adorable.

It's always nice to see your art popping up on my feed; Even if I'm not interested in any of the 'adult' stuff that you get commissioned to do. :P

Cool seeing a different rougher looking style from you. I bet if you found some food the anger would be gone. :P

An aspiring composer and writer/storyteller. If you're interested in collaborating, message me! :D

Collin Brefka @CloakedSoup